Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Picture at the Country Club

When my daughter was born I was determined to be the best mother ever! Her childhood would be the best ever! Her diet would be the best ever! Her education would be the best ever! Then my boys arrived and I vowed even harder to raise each child the best I could! All three would have a super childhood and super mom. Well you know how long that lasted. Before I knew it all three were in school and in every after school activity known to man. Things got expensive and money got tight real fast. My butt was back working full time.The logistics of working and hauling children around was a nightmare! After completing my work day I called the children while driving home. Each child was given instructions on what to wear and what equipment to have. Then depending on the time of each activity determined what child stood in the driveway at what time. I whipped in the driveway and grabbed whatever child stood there. I usually knew where to take them by the uniform on their back. Although there were times I took them to the wrong place or the right place at the wrong time. After dropping off the first child I would return for another until each child had been taken and picked up where they needed to be. Sometime in the melee I drove through the closest fast food for their dinner. During swim season all three had the same stop, the pool at our country club. I must admit I got slack when all three were in one place. One particular trip for swim team practice was such an example. I had made the phone call to be in swimsuits with towels in the driveway because I was almost home. All three children in bathing suits with towels in the driveway when I pulled up. I was Super Mom no doubt about it. We arrived at the country club in the nick of time without a speeding ticket or major meltdown. Unbeknownst to me or if I did know I filed it somewhere deep in my brain, that day was swim team practise and swim team pictures. Each child was to wear the official swim team bathing suit for that particular season. So fifty plus children stood in matching suits except one. My daughter had worn her swimsuit from last year. You would not believe the outraged looks the country club moms gave me. What kind of mother allowed her child to come for swim team pictures in last year's bathing suit? Not a Super Mom that was for sure. Swim team pictures were made. No mom police arrived. Flash forward twelve years. All three children are not too damaged from their childhood. The country club remodeled the pool. Now it is like being at a resort. The grill has a nice face lift too. Someone had the clever idea to hang pictures of random blown up portions of swim teams over the years. Unfortunately for me my daughter is featured in one of the photos. She and a group of girls with big smiles showing off their braces. Each girl in the appropriate swimsuit for the season except my daughter. I try to wear my biggest hat and my sunglasses every time I enter the grill. I know there are discussions about the photo with the girl in the wrong swimsuit. All I can say is being a super mom is way overrated!

1 comment:

  1. Haha as soon as you said swim team practice I had a feeling that that's where this story was going ;)

    ReplyDelete